Sunday 30 December 2012

2013 Comics Resolutions Part One

So many great comics so little time!  I have decided to make a list of six comic runs or series I must read (or re-read) during 2013.  Here are the first three:

Peter Parker's sad demise at the hands of Dan Slott and Disney has prompted a yearning to re-read Silver Age Amazing Spider-man. I aim to read the entire sixties run and continue through to the death of Gwen Stacy.  Stan Lee, Steve Ditko and John Romita established a legend.  Reading these classic tales will remind me of Peter Parker's ascent to greatness.

Amazing Spider-man #41 (October 1963)
Pencil Art by John Romita, inks: Mike Esposito

Spielberg's Tintin movie was recently shown on tv and I haven't read Herge's classic character for over thirty years so my target will be to read the entire series.  I will be reading roughly half the series for the first time so this is an exciting prospect.

Tintin by Herge
I have read Don McGregor's Killraven many times but I have never read his entire run on Black Panther and I intend to remedy this by reading Essential Black Panther.

Jungle Action #6 (September 1973)
Pencil Arty Rich Buckler, inks: Frank Giacoia
I have not yet finalised my remaining choices, they will follow in Part Two.  Have you got any comics you aim to read in 2013?

4 comments:

  1. In various forms, I have a bunch of Avengers collections I intend to read rather soon: Bride of Ultron, the Korvac Saga, Under Siege, and Assault on Olympus.
    Also, that hefty, single-volume edition of the complete Bone as well as the complete Starhawks collection by Goulart/Kane have actually begun to collect dust on my shelf, so I am going to make it a point to read those in the coming year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might be adding Avengers to my list I haven't read Roger Stern's full run since the eighties, it was very good!

      Delete
  2. I just got my Tintins out since my daughter got me the animated series for Christmas. I might well read some of them again for comparison as I work my way through the cartoons.

    Just read that Black Panther volume this summer and it was quite strong.

    As for reading vintage stuff, I'm thinking of concentrating on knights and such with collections of Black Knight, Viking Prince, Prince Valiant and such.

    Good luck with the read and have a blast!

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have dipped into Viking Prince and it is something I should devote much more time to. I have yet to take the plunge with Prince Valiant, it looks beautiful.

      Delete